Monday, April 12, 2010

Sustainability - Part1

   In the Turf Industry the lastest buzz word not too unlike a lot of industries/economies is "Sustain" or "Sustainability".  This being the idea or philosophy of what can be sustained.  In a previous post I talked about a seminar I attended where there was a panel discussion about Sustainable Golf Course Management.  Some on the panel looked at it from an environmental standpoint, some from the economics of what their budgets will allow, and others from the standpoint of trying to bring American golf back in line with European golf.  This last standpoint is related to how golf courses are conditioned.  To me it boiled down to how do we provide high quality playing conditions, while keeping the cost of golf affordable and doing the right thing for the environment.
   I have included an article (http://www.golfbusinessmagazine.com/pageview.asp?m=3&y=2010&doc=2322)

from Golf Business Magazine that talks about what some turfgrass managers in the golf course industry are doing.  I think it is a good article to read especially after watching golf over the weekend played with conditions that are arguably superfluous.  My next installment on this subject I will discuss what Dellwood Hills management practices have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment